Good Health and Safety practices are required at all places of work and are written into the laws of every country. Data centres are no exception and indeed have some very particular H&S requirements.
There are some general purpose safety standards that any organisation can use such as ISO 45001 Health and Safety requirements and BS OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems – Requirements, and these should form the basis of your H&S plan. But they are not very specific and are aimed at a high management level.
Much more specific actions need to be taken to assess the risks in data centres.
Capitoline has introduced a Data Centre audit and assessment service called DC WorksafeTM which meets the audit and assessment requirements of the major Standards and Regulations relating to workplace occupational health.
- An on-site physical audit of the site and inspection report covering all the major data centre related health and safety hazards
- An inspection of the existing health and safety documentation, policies and procedures to identify any omissions or issues that need to be addressed
- An option to prepare any missing documentation
This is not an ISO 45001 audit but a method of proving compliance to the following sections of ISO 45001 and BS OHSAS 18001. The final report will satisfy the need to demonstrate compliance to;
- Hazard identification
- Assessment of risks
- Documented information
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Incident, nonconformity and corrective action
- Continual improvement